Here are ten questions you can use during the phone interview:
1) What do you know about our company?
2) What interests you most about the position?
3) What qualifications do you have for the position?
4) Are you overqualified for the position?
5) What was the last job you had?
6) How did things go?
7) What were the reasons for leaving that job?
8) In what ways do you feel you could contribute to our company?
9) Are you looking for short or long-term employment?
10) What would be an ideal work week for you?
Of course, there are many other questions you could ask, but the above will help you get started. I recommend taking notes on each answer given, as you may want to follow up on some answers in a later interview. You also may put a few applicants in the “maybe” file and you’ll have your notes to review if you want to consider them again.
Another good idea is to compile your own list of questions and have them all available before starting. Then, as you make your way through the list, you may decide to leave some questions out and concentrate on others.
Should you do more than one phone interview? If you’re real happy with a particular applicant after one phone interview and want to move right to an in-person interview, by all means, go for it. But if you want to filter your applicants further before seeing them in person, then multiple phone interviews will certainly help.
We can help you hire better staff. Watch our three minute video.