We all have a series of steps we take when hiring a new employee. Let’s look at some of them that you could put into a checklist:
• Determining the need for the position.
• Can we fill that need internally?
• Promoting to the existing staff that we’re looking to fill a position and getting referrals from existing staff.
• Placing ads externally. On job boards. In newspapers. Anywhere a job can be promoted.
• Applicant fills out a job application.
• A phone interview.
• A second phone interview.
• An in person interview.
• A background check.
• Checking over the résumé.
• Checking the references in the résumé.
• Employee testing. You did know that’s what we provide.
• A second in person interview.
• Salary discussion.
• Having a staff member interview the applicant.
These are some of the steps we take from: A position needs filling to making the decision to fill it.
The company The Balance Careers has a comprehensive checklist that you may like.
Put together a checklist that works for your company. Add to it as necessary, remove action steps that you no longer do. Keep it streamlined but by all means, use it. You’ll find the entire process runs smoother.
As the law varies in each area, please check with an attorney to ensure you are applying these tips within the law.
Our three minute video will help you hire the right people.